Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Story time with butterflies

I passed out color-by-number pages & some of the children brought me their "homework."


There are so many butterfly books in this library system - cool!  Here are the ones I used:
*The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carle
*Gotta Go!  Gotta Go!  - Sam Swope
*Katy Duck is a Caterpillar - Alyssa Satin Capucilli
*Butterfly, Butterfly – Petr Horacek
*Ten Little Caterpillars  - Bill Martin

Fingerplay/rhyme suggestion:
Pretty Butterfly - sung to "Up On The Housetop"
First comes a butterfly
Who lays an egg,
Out comes a caterpillar
With many legs,
Oh, see the caterpillar
Spin and spin
A little chrysalis to sleep in.
Oh, oh, oh, look and see,
Oh, oh, oh, look and see.
Out of the chrysalis, my oh, my,
Out comes a pretty butterfly! Creepy Crawly Caterpillar
A creepy crawly caterpillar that I see (shade eyes)
Makes a chrysalis in a big oak tree. (make body into a ball)
He stays there and I know why (slowly stand up)
Because soon he will be a butterfly (flap arms)

Caterpillar Poem
What do caterpillars do?
Nothing but chew and chew.
What do caterpillars know?
Nothing much but how to grow.
They just eat what by and by
Will make them be a butterfly.
But this is more than I can do
However much I chew and chew.





Our awesome volunteers cut these out.  Children glued tissue paper to the back.  This one was a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment