Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Theme: Colors

PR: To encourage a love of reading and support literacy development, we'll share a few of our favorite activities, rhymes, songs and read-aloud books about colors. 

Books and stories

The Mystery of the Missing Red Mitten by Kellogg, Steven
The Rainbow Book by Ohrt, Kate
The Crayon Box that Talked by DeRolf, Shane
Red House, Tree House, Little Bitty Brown Mouse by Godwin, Jane
Mouse Paint by Walsh, Ellen
The Big Red Rock by Stockham, Jess
When Pencil Met the Markers by Kilpatrick, Karen
I Spy with My Little Eye by Gibbs, Edward
Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Carle, Eric

There are SO MANY good color books! 
Our copy of Mouse Paint by Walsh, Ellen was out, but I did a similar activity to illustrate color blending.

Songs
Flannelboard - Bought Me a Cat 
by Pete Seeger

… I bought me a cat
The cat pleased me
I fed my cat under yonder tree
The cat went fiddle I fee
Fiddle I fee

… Well I bought me a horse
The horse pleased me
I fed my horse under yonder tree
The horse went naaaaaay
The cow went moo moo
The sheep went baah baah
The dog went Woof woof
The goose went honk honk
The duck went quack quack
The rooster went cock-a-doodle-doo
The cat went a fiddle I fee


Rhymes
Flannelboard - Butterfly Colors

The first to come to the garden bed
Is a lovely butterfly of brilliant RED.

Then in comes another and that makes two.
Fly right in, my friend of BLUE.

“The garden is fine, the best I’ve seen,”
says the butterfly of softest GREEN.

Our garden needs a sunny fellow,
Fly on in, butterfly with wings of YELLOW.

Little friend of PURPLE, fly in too.
The garden is waiting for a color like you.

ORANGE, orange, you’re waited so long.
Fly right in, where you belong.

Butterflies, butterflies, you’re such a sight!
Flying together – what a delight!

Credit: Miss Meg’s Storytime


Five Little Apples
Flannelboard

Five little apples lying on the floor
One rolled away and that left four.

Four little apples hanging on a tree
I picked one off and that left three.

Three little apples - I know what to do!
I put one in my pocket and that leaves two.

Two little apples sitting in the sun
I'll pick one up and that leaves one.

One little apple waiting in my lunch
I'll eat it up with a crunch, crunch, crunch.


New Words:

garden bed, blend, absorb


ART

Color magic
Need: Markers, black Sharpie, spray bottles, paper towels

Make picture in colors, trace with black Sharpie.

Spray lightly with water.

Activity

Mouse paint-like jar cutouts with colored cellophane labels to show color blending.






No comments:

Post a Comment